MEETING MINUTES
QSY HOME
 
 

MVARC Monthly Meeting Minutes for June 10th, 2017
MVARC President Jeremy Brown KA7BIF Presiding.
Meeting was called to order at 09:00 at Loong Hing Restaurant
Pledge of Allegiance

Introductions

Terry Nelson AD7P gave a Treasurer's report, reporting a total of over $4000 in our bank account.
Motion to accept report made by KB7RFT, seconded by KG7SIQ, approved.

AD7P reported we are ready to move the Hy-Gain 146.66 repeater antenna, located on the Jerome County Sherriff's tower near Flat Top Butte.  We are just waiting for the "go" and some organization does still need to be done.

KB7RFT asked if the club would be willing to donate some money, perhaps $150, to the Mt. Harrison Chapter for repeater expenses.  No vote was taken at this time.  It was suggested that the Mt. Harrison Chapter consider asking users of the repeater to help out with expenses.  There was some agreement that the MVARC would be willing to donate a set amount to the Mt. Harrison Chapter each year but no amount was set and no vote was taken.  It was also pointed out that MVARC has contributed a lot to the repeater in the past including $70 in March. 

Club President Jeremy Brown, KA7BIF, said he would like to see the club participate in the parades in the area this summer.  The next one is the Buhl Sagebrush Days Parade.  He also noted the Boy/Cub Scouts could be invited to walk with the club float in the parade.

Field Day Chairman Jim Kennedy W7OUU says our participation in Field Day this year will be at North View Orchard near Buhl which is owned by MVARC member Kent Reinke KV7N.  We will operate as a 4A setup this year.  Set up time will be Friday, June 23rd around 5 p.m. All hands on deck who can help set up the two antenna trailers, the club tent and several other smaller tents.  Here is a map to get to the Field Day location referenced from St. Lukes Reginal Hospital on Pole Line Road in Twin Falls.  Club members decided to have Subway sandwiches and a Pot Luck again this year at 5 p.m. Saturday on the Field Day site.  MVARC will provide drinks and Subway sandwiches, members are asked to bring some sort of food dish. 

Kelly Klaas, K7SU, was presented with the ARRL Certificate of Merit from MVARC for appreciation of the work done for the club.

Club President Jeremy Brown, KA7BIF, announced a "slogan contest" to come up with a good slogan the club can use.  Details were sent via the club mail list.

Half-pot raffle won by Jim Kennedy W7OUU.

Meeting adjourned at 10:05 a.m.

_______________________________________________________________

MVARC Monthly Meeting Minutes for May 13th, 2017
MVARC President Jeremy Brown KA7BIF Presiding.
Meeting was called to order at 09:00 at Loong Hing Restaurant
Pledge of Allegiance

Introductions

09:08 – There was no Treasurer’s report.

09:10 – Jeremy, KA7BIF – Told club members who are also ARRL members that if they renew their ARRL membership through MVARC the club will get a “commission” for each one who signs up or renews. 
Encouraged members to renew/sign up through the club.    Jeremy and Terry AD7P will manage this task for the club.  Jim, W7OUU – Explained what ARRL is about. 

 Field Day 2017
Jim, W7OUU
Club be running a 4A station this year at the Northview Orchard owned by MVARC member Kent Reinke KV7N.  Will have antenna trailer.  Oscar, K7KOA – will let club use generator Will have Port-A-Potty available
Food will be decided for Saturday
Jim, W7OUU asked for Radios, lights, chairs, and Extension cords
Radio setup will be 1 Digital and 3 Morse/Voice

09:25 – Jeremy, KA7BIF – Club/Hobby Exposure, Getting people into the hobby.
Being in Western Days Parade
Give out brochures to the public
Doing a Fox Hunt
Getting Kids into HAM RADIO.
Club willing to sponsor a school club
Jim, W7OUU – Club needs to be able to talk with kids

09:45 – 146.660 Repeater and Jerome County Sheriff
Things are put on hold at the Jerome County Sheriffs Office. Changes are happening in Jerome County Offices.
Jim, W7OUU – does the club want to be on hold as well, or should we make a “Plan B”?
Dunk, KD7JKB – Talks about the history of the plan and also history of “Plan B”
Jim, W7OUU – we should go with “Plan B” and if so some ideas to change
Kelly, KB7RFT – What if we get kicked out
Dunk, KD7JKB – Won't happen
Topic Closed

09:40 - “GO” Bags
Kelly, K7SU – Talks about his “Go” Bag
Oscar, K7KOA – Talks/Show his “Go” Bag
10:03 – Half-Pot Drawing
10:08 – Problems with Reflector and reminder what its use is for.  Club members have first priority.  If non-members do not approve of reflector content they can unsubscribe.

10:10 – Rosey, KF7UFI Motions to Close
Jeremy, KA7BIF Seconds

10:11 – Meeting Adjourned

_______________________________________________________________

 MVARC Meeting Minutes for 4/8/17
President Kelly Klaas K7SU Presiding

Meeting called to order at 9:01 a.m.
Pledge of Allegiance
Introductions

Treasurer’s report by Treasurer Terry Nelson AD7P

Kelly Klaas K7SU asked for volunteers to help in the MVARC booth at the Idaho State Convention.
Volunteers included Bill Carver W7AAZ, Doc Humphrey AC7M, Bil Johnson K7MPW, Kent Reinke KV7N and Oscar Carranza K7KOA.

Klaas called for volunteers to help with the MVARC sponsored CW contest.  Volunteers include Brent Adamson K2SAW, Debbie Adamson, Bil Johnson K8MPW and Kelly and Rosey Goodman KF7UFI, KF7UFJ.

Klaas mentioned MVARC has an active Facebook page and encouraged all to check it out and make posts.

Klaas announced that he and Steve Hagerty K7WRK visited Kent Reinke’s orchard and check it out for a Field Day site this year.  There are several site possibilities.   Jim Kennedy W7OUU volunteered as Field Day Chairman.  Brent Adamson K7SAW will assist. 

Elections were held at the meeting.  Results are:

Jeremy Brown KA7BIF automatically takes office after serving one year as Vice President.
Vice President – “Bil” Johnson K8MPW
Secretary – Alex Payne KF7LDR
Treasurer -  Terry Nelson AD7P
Member at Large – Bob Castaneda KC7QR

After the election Jeremy Brown KA7BIF took over as President.

Terry Fletcher K7THF had an ARES report announcing training exercise May 20, 21.  If we get more participants and exercise will be held.  If no more volunteer to help the exercise may be cancelled.  Contact Terry if interested.

President Jeremy Brown encouraged the club to be pro-active.  Announced JOTA participation Oct. 21st at the Boy Scout Office. 

Next month bring a radio go-bag if you have one to welcome and encourage new hams.

Dunk Layton KD7JKB said the site for the 146.66 repeater is progressing and the antenna has been ordered. 

Kelly Jenrick KB7RFT suggested some type of repeater to help hams in Hagerman get out of the canyon.  Suggestion was to not do anything until the 146.66 repeater is in operation at new location as it may fix the problem. 

Raffle winner of Jim W7OUU.

Meeting adjourned at 9:45 p.m.

_______________________________________________________________

11 March 2017 Club Meeting Notes
Meeting Notes Written By: Jacob Wright
Total # Of People At Meeting: 32 

0904  Club Meeting Starts
0904 Pledge Of Allegiance
0905  Introductions
0908  Kelly (K7SU) reminds members club elections will be next month

0909  Terry AD7P Gives Treasure Report

·        Kelly Motion To Accept Report

·        Motion To Accept Report and seconded.

·        Members vote unanimously to accept.

0910  Kelly (K7SU) Talks About The Club Being At Idaho State Convention (April 20-23, 2017). Will Be Doing A CW Contest.
0914  Oscar talks about the JOTA location(Boy Scouts Office), dates, and hopes for the event to be a family event. Brings up the need for the club to set down a firm time table for the event. Brought up the idea to have multiple stations and maybe have some classes. Jim points out that the club needs to bring their “A” game since the club has all this time to plan and the need to bring in more youth.

0924  (Old/New Bussiness) Jim brings up the need to start really planning for Field Day since it’s come up real fast. Kelly says Kent’s (KV7N) Orchard is our location this year..

             Time goes forward Tonight.

             Congrats to the new HAMs

0927  Debbie Draws Half Pot Winner
0929  Dunk KD7JKB announces congratulations for club members who have worked at getting new hams licensed throughout the year.
0930  Chris demos his mobile IRLP/digital setup. Answers questions about his setup and some specs on the system.

 1007 K2SAW motions to conclude meeting.

            KV7N 2nds motion.

Club meeting ends.

___________________________________________________________

11 February 2017 Club Meeting Notes
Meeting Notes Written By: Jacob Wright
Total # Of People At Meeting: 27

0904  Club Meeting Starts
0904 Pledge Of Allegiance
0905  Introductions
0907  Terry Nelson AD7P Gives Treasure Report

·        Kelly Motion To Accept Report

·        Jim 2nd Motion To Accept Report

0909  Kelly (K7SU) asks if members desired a New Date For Winter Club Party Due To Weather Conditions. Board Of Directors Will discuss a backup plan if meeting is changed due to weather.   Also asked members if there was a desire to change location.

            Poll (Not Official Vote)

·        13 In Favor To Keep It Where It Was At

·        3 Opposed

0916  Jeremy Brown KA7BIF Asks For Club Members Help (Bodies & Stations) To Help Cub Scouts Get An Award by participating in Jamboree On The Air (JOTA). Will Be Put On Calendar.

·        Oscar Is Willing To Speak To Scout  Council To Have The Grounds Be Used For The Cub Scouts if needed.

0920  Attending club members vote That The Club’s ½ Of The Half Pot Will Be Donated To The Mount Harrison Chapter repeater fund. The Ticket Winner Can Decide What They Want To Do With Their ½.
0921  Terry Fletcher K7THF Speaks About RACES Operations/Participation & The Need For Some More Club Members To Join RACES
0927  Kevan Vogt KD7IYA Talks About The Mount Harrison Repeater Fees/Costs That Need Help Covering. Kevin Has Also Asked For Some Help To Uninstall/Install Antenna On The Station’s Tower.
0939  Chris Hembre W7CTH Shows/Talks About OpenSpot (Digital Packet) For Mobile/Hand Held Digital Transmitting/Receiving. Also Shows Wireless Router To Hook Up To Hot Spot.
0943  Kelly (K7SU)  Talks About MVARC participation At Idaho State Convention. MVARC will  Be sponsoring A CW Contest. Members authorize/approve $300 For Prizes From Club Accounts And To Make brochures.  Also Asking For Assistance To Man The Booth. Brings Up Registration Fees.
0952  Kelly (K7SU) Brings Up The Need To Get A Projector Screen.  Members approve.
0953  (Old/New Business) Dunk KD7JKB mentions The Need For People For RACES  And To Have Some People Have Their Radio’s On
0954  Kent KV7N Talks About his Achievement of transmitting from Every County In The USA (3077). Does A Presentation And Show Antenna/Radio Rig & Method Of Transportation Of Equipment.
1017  Lester (Guest) Draws Raffle Winner.  (Winner, Jeremy Brown KA7BIF)
1018  Meeting Adjourns

_______________________________________________________________

 

Magic Valley Amateur Radio Club Monthly Meeting
December 10, 2016
     Presiding: Kelly Klaas, K7SU President
     Jeremy Brown, KA7BIF Vice President
     Alex Payne, KF7LDR Secretary
     Terry Nelson, AD7P Treasury

Meeting called to order at: 09:00

22 in attendance
Pledge of Allegiance
Introductions
Treasurer Report
Winter Party - Jan, N7BRL - White Elephant gift exchange. If participating bring a gift. Men buy men
Woman buy Woman or you can buy one for either.
Steve, K7WKR - Price $22.00 per person if ordering the Christmas party menu. Prime Rib,
Chicken, Pork Chops, or Salmon. Includes soft drinks and dinner roll, veg, etc. Can order off the menu.

Elmer’s Net - Bil, K8MPW - meets Thursday on the 146.76 and talk about anything or everything that is
FCC Approved

ARES/RACES - Terry, K7THF - Got table & Chairs. Got a laser printer. Spring will look out for a shelter.
Idaho Disaster team changed it’s name recently. In the process of getting an exercise setup.
Repeater Report - Jerome still waiting on the sheriff to get the antenna. Did get coax wrapped on tower.
Need to get building leveled at spring.

Presentation - Slow Scan TV
CommsPrepper
Allows to transmit without Microphone. Soundcard Interface allows easier setup. There
is one you can build for about $20. If you don’t use interface, difficult to setup the box. SignalLink - about
$100 -- Rascal 2 -- can borrow from Bil, K8MPW

Rolly, W7KOT - Half Pot winner. $51.00
Meeting adjourned at 09:40 MST

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Magic Valley Amateur Radio Club Monthly Meeting
November 12, 2016
Presiding: Kelly Klaas, K7SU President
Jeremy Brown, KA7BIF Vice President
Alex Payne, KF7LDR Secretary
Terry Nelson, AD7P Treasury

Pledge of Allegiance
Introductions
Treasurer Report - Approved

Hansen Butte cleaning - tower needs to have some things completed.
Teaching classes at CSI and Field Day Results - Steve, K7WKR
   Tech Class - Starting around the end of January. 6 Sessions at CSI at 2.5 hours each.
   Notes on reflector with specifics.
   Cost: Base fee of $40, maybe close to $50.00. Will get book and license exam fee.

Field Day - Won Idaho again (2nd Year Running) and had High Score for Idaho.
   Did leave about 400 points in the dust that we can get.
   CW Contacts helped us.

Kelly’s tower use project fell through.

Sun Valley (Blaine County) area law with Handheld mics for Amateur Radios in vehicles.  Still waiting to see impact.

Winter Party: Talk about having a different location. Discussion will be in February.
   Winter Party 2016/2017 - Jan, N7BRL is MC - Menu choice is the same as last year.
   Theme of party is White Elephant gift exchange. Just make sure it’s wrapped. One gift of each
   individual. Cost of about $5.00
  Gifts for woman will be dinner gift cards.

Repeater Report:
3 weeks ago - conversation about Jerome Site. Doug McFall is right on it. Twin Falls site is
running strong.

Large Prize Raffle Tickets
Start selling tickets in Feb and raffle off at the Winter Party.

ARES/RACES
Received a Donation of $560.00 for an Estate Sale. Will disccuss what we want to use money for.
Will have talk about getting a small folding table and a couple chairs and a 10x10 cover. May want to get
an up-to-date computer system and a new printer.
Would like to setup an exercise in Spring to see what we can do and stress our setups to see where
we can improve. Do need to see about getting more personal so that we can have relief for people. May
setup a long testing session as well.

Video - How to make a Fox Hole Radio Receiver
Half Pot raffle winnings of $60 was donated to club.

Meeting adjourned at 10:10
___________________________________________________________________________________________


K7MVA CLUB MINUTES 10/8/16
BY K7SU
18 in attendance
Meeting time 9 a.m.

1) Pledge of Allegiance
2) Introductions
3) Everyone reported on new radio toys and/or notabls QSO's
4) Treasurer's report
5) Report from "Bil" Johnson K8MPW on Thursday night Elmer's net regarding lots of Elmers but few who need help
6) Report from Terry Fletcher K7THF regarding money to ARES from N7GUC sale
7) Report from Dean Etherington KI7CC regarding help needed for maintenance at ARES repeater site
8) Report from Kelly Klaas K7SU regarding club to start Tech classes at CSI for adult ed. for spring semester
9) Report from Kelly Klaas K7SU for urging members to be on lookout for room or building suitable for club station
10) Group discussion on location for January Christmas party.  It was decided we would have it again at Happy Landing at airport.
11) Watched video on "Ham Radio Aboard ISS"
12) Winner of half pot Dean KI7CC
13) Adjourned 10:35 am

K7MVA CLUB MINUTES 9/10/16
BY KF7LDR/K7SU

1) Pledge of Allegiance
2) Introductions
3) Discussed new "radio toys" some of the members attending had procurred.
4) Report from Bob Castaneda KC7QR on the Swap Meet coming up on 9/24
5) Discussion from Kelly Jenrick KB7RFT that the Civil Air Patrol is interested in having the club teach their members about radio operations.
6) Discussion about possibly holding ham radio classes through CSI and using their resources.
7) Doc Humphrey AC7M presented some pictures of the Evel Knievel jump back in 1974.7)7) Presentation from Bob Rodman, N7SVI about making antennas from flea market finds.
8) Presentation from Bob Rodman N7SVI on making antennas from flea market and yard sale finds.
9) Raffle winner of the half-pot was Rick Lang, AD7JS.
10) Adjourned

____________________________________________________________________________________________

K7MVA CLUB MINUTES 8/13/2016
BY AD7P

1) Pledge of Allegiance
2) K7SU is going to put the minutes on the web (reflector) instead of having them read each meeting.
3) Jim Kennedy W7OUU talked about meteor shower scatter.  There was a meteor scatter that just happened.
4) Kelly K7SU mentioned the bicycle 100 mile run that we are participating in providing communications from eight pit stops along the run.  Any one who would like to participate can.  All eight stops are filled already.
5) The treasurer AD7P gave a financial report.
6) KC7QR talked about the swap meet the club is holding next month and how we need people to volunteer to help.
7) Bil, K8MPW, talked about the Elmer’s net on Thursday nights and how he is running things now compared to when the net was first started.
8) Kelly (KB7RFT) talked about how the Civil Air Patrol would like us to teach radio communication techniques to their people.  The contact person is being invited to come to our meeting next month.
9) Steve K7WKR is going to start a Tech class this autumn and a general class this winter.
10) Kelly showed a YouTube video about how to test the voltage on a car battery. 
11) The drawing for a flat of peaches from Kent, KV7N, won by Jim Kennedy W7OUU 
11) adjourned at 0950.

 ___________________________________________________________________________________________